Imphal: Manipur government is monitoring all activities taking place in the state and it would not remain as mere spectator to any crime committed by anyone.
Chief minister N. Biren Singh said this on Thursday as he launched the Permanent Housing Scheme for the displaced persons whose houses had been burnt down and damaged during the recent violence, during a solemn programme held at the chief minister’s secretariat, here.
He urged the people to refrain from violence and bring up their grievances so that it could be solved through constitutional measures. He also appealed to the public to join hands and cooperate in the government’s effort to restore peace in the state.
Biren handed over the financial assistance for construction of permanent houses to some selected beneficiaries from Imphal East, Kakching and Bishnupur districts under the scheme.
An amount of Rs 10 lakhs, Rs 7 lakhs and Rs 5 lakhs, for construction of damaged or burnt down pucca houses, semi-pucca and kutcha houses respectively, will be provided to more than 4800 beneficiaries across the state. The financial assistance will be provided in two installments. Beneficiaries can apply for 2nd installment amount through the concerned deputy commissioners by submitting the photographs of ongoing construction using the 1st installment amount.
Biren said the government under the guidance of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has spent an amount of Rs 399.82 crore for providing different types of relief assistance to persons and families who were affected by the violence which broke out on May 3.
He informed that out of the said amount, Rs 11 crore had been for setting up Manipur IT Centre for Exam, Rs 4.5 crore for providing Television sets for various relief camps, Rs 150 crors in construction of prefabricated houses, Rs 101 crore in relief camps management for six months and Rs 89.22 crore for providing nutrition and winter preparedness, including breakfast for children in relief camps.
The state government had already provided financial assistance of Rs 1000 each to people staying at relief camps for the 2nd round. Labour card holders staying in relief camps had also been provided with Rs 5000 each as assistance for education of their children, he added. He informed that the government has taken up the process for providing beds for the displaced people, as the winter season has arrived.
The chief minister said an amount Rs 476 crore have also been proposed to the central government for various other relief measures including Rs 6 crore for 2nd round of monetary assistance of Rs 1000 each to people staying at relief camps, Rs 360 crore for Permanent Housing Scheme, Rs 108 crore as second installment for relief camps management and another Rs 2.5 crore for buying cycles for girls staying at relief camps. He appreciated the Prime Minister and Union Home minister for providing timely assistance.
The chief minister informed that the displaced people whose houses had been burnt down and damaged to visit their concerned deputy commissioner’s office and take the financial assistance for construction of their houses under the scheme, adding that DC offices had a verified list of beneficiaries. He also gave advice that family who does not have manpower for construction works can take assistance from District Rural Development Agency by requesting through their concerned DCs.
Ministers, MLAs, chief secretary, security advisor, DGP, senior government officials and beneficiaries also attended the launching programme among others.