Pothashang News Service

Imphal, November 26: Consumer affairs, food and public distribution minister Karam Shyam today said he will start riding bicycle while going to his office for work every Thursday during the flag off  of ‘Cyclothon’ at Malom Depot IOCL, Imphal.

The minister led the Cyclothone which was organised to create awareness of conservation of petroleum. The cycle campaign wind up at Keishampat Oil Pump about 7.5 km distance from the starting venue.

It was organised by Public Sector Oil Companies in association with Petroleum Conservation Research Association under the aegis of Ministry of petroleum and natural gas.

The Cyclothon comes in the backdrop of Prime Minister Narendra Modi appeal to the people to avoid use of petrol and diesel one in a week.

“I will go to my office on bicycle ever Thursday”, said Karam Shyam. Distance between his residence at Langthabal in Imphal West and his secretariat at the capital city would be about 10 km.  

Karam Shyam said riding cycle is a message to all the citizens about the importance of fuel conservation. As a political leader and as a citizen of the state, we must encourage and promote cycling, he added.

He also appealed to parents and guardians to promote using bicycle among students and youths instead of two wheeler vehicle and cars. Since oil is non-renewable source of energy we must use alternative sources for conservation, he added.

Asserting Prime Minster Narendra Modi as a visionary leader, Karam Shyam said we must follow his advice not to use petrol or diesel once a week. The Minister also said it is the collective responsibility to use fuel judiciously and make fuel conservation an integral part of our lifestyle.

The Cyclothon is being held across the country from November 12 and would continue till December 31, 2017

If cycling becomes popular among the citizens the government can consider providing special lanes for cyclists, said Karam Shyam.

The minister said 80% of crude oil requirement of India is imported and remaining 20% is produced in India. Using of cycle will not only save fuel but will also help in making Manipur reduced from both noise and air pollution, added the minister.   

With the minister, Professor H. Tombi Singh, former VC, Manipur University, IOC officials around 100 cyclist enthusiasts rode bicycle from Malom till Keishampat Oil Pump.

+ There are no comments

Add yours