The Manipur Assembly today passed the Manipur Goods and Service Services Tax Bill, 2017. Moving the GST Bill on the second day of the first Assembly session, part-II, convened especially to pass it, Deputy Chief Minister, Shri Y. Joykumar Singh who is also in-charge of Finance clarified the House that the passing of the Manipur GST is a golden jump for revenue mobilisation which will simplify the indirect tax regime in the State.

Stating that “one nation- one tax” is the soul of the GST, Deputy Chief Minister, Shri Y. Joykumar Singh said that the GST is a ‘Destination based Consumption Tax’ and such tax will flow to the state where goods and services are consumed. So, states like Manipur which are ‘Consumer State’ will benefit from GST, he added. He further informed the House that there are three kinds of GST: Central GST, State GST and Integrated GST.

Addressing the House, Shri Y. Joykumar Singh assured that GST would bring a ‘uniform’ taxation in the country, so it will curb the imbalance in tax variation, price variation in different states of the country. He stressed that the implementation of GST will not push up the prices of goods and services and people should not be panic on the implementation of GST in the State.

He further informed the House that the taxation on Alcoholic liquor for Human consumption would be exempted under the Goods and Services Tax Bill 2017. Clarifying the apprehension that not all the business dealers or shops require to register for GST, Shri Y. Joykumar Singh said that only those entrepreneurs or shops whose annual revenue turnover is more than 10 lakhs should register under GST. He further said, “For those entrepreneurs whose annual turnover is less than 1.5 crores, 90 percent of them should vest under State GST and the remaining 10 percent under Central GST.” If the taxpayers annual turnover is above 1.5 crores, then it would be divided equally i.e. 50-50 percent between Central and State GST, he added. Shri Y. Joykumar Singh stressed that the Union Government would provide compensation for a period of five years from the date of GST implementation.

During the discussion, Chief Minister Shri N. Biren Singh said that the State would generate revenue of around 150 to 200 crores annually under GST. He further said that around 4500 retail shops have been registered for GST in the State.

MLA, Shri. P. Brojen Singh, MLA, Shri O. Surjakumar , MLA, K. Ranjit Singh, MLA Shri Kh. Joykishan Singh, MLA, Shri K. Meghachandra Singh, MLA Shri Y. Surchandra, MLA Kumari Ak. Mirabai, MLA, Shri P. Sharatchandra, MLA Shri Th. Lokeshwar Singh participated in the two hour long discussion.

In today’s session, two Audit Report of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India on the Accounts of Manipur Legal Services Authority, an Annual report and memorandum of action taken on the recommendations of the National Human Rights Commission, India for the year 2013-14, six regulations of Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission for Manipur and Mizoram regulations 2016 and a corrigendum of Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission for Manipur and Mizoram were laid on the Table of the House.

Later, Speaker Shri Y. Khemchand adjourned the House sine die after passing the Manipur GST 2017. (DIPR)

+ There are no comments

Add yours